아카이브

온라인 자료실

작성일2007-05-30

[월간지 관련기사] 윌리엄 글라이스틴 전 주한 미국대사와의 일문일답 / 20사단 투입 결정은 정당

본문

윌리엄 글라이스틴 전 주한 미국대사와의 일문일답 / 20사단 투입 결정은 정당

(월간조선별책부록)

광주진압 위한 20사단 투입 결정은 합리적이고 정당

지난 87년 1월13일 한국을 방문한 글라이스틴 전 주한 미국 대사(1978∼81)는 서울 미국 공보원에서 한국 기자들과 간담회를 가졌다. 이날 글라이스틴 전 대사는 당시 한국 국내정치 문제가 갖는 중요성과 의미에 대해 설명하고 기자들의 질문에 대답했다. 이 중 광주사태에 대한 미국의 책임문제에 관한 질문에 대해 글라이스틴 대사는 이렇게 자신의 입장을 밝혔다.

about which koreans feel correctly, that they must make sovereign decisions, and they have. and the United States has basically never been Consulted about those. That's the reality. Now command relationships need to be adjusted to take account of both of those things that I mentioned. How that's done Is very complicated and tricky. I think thought in the long run it can be done. It's not Something that should be handled in an impatient manner.

Now there are some other issues that complicate It even further. We have U.S. forces In Korea and command relations as far as they are concerned, not only in korea but all over the wor1d, are subject to certain special requirements which are set by U.S. law. A second thing is we are deaIing with a Korean armistice. The United States In the form of the U.N.comnand, was the sole signatory on our side of that armistice,so that we are responsible to god and to the armistice regime for the enforcement of the armistice And that creates certain quite definite requirements for command relationships. That's basically way we still have a U.N. command. So, all of these things have to be considered. 1 think some adjustments may eventually be necessary and possible. 1 don't sense any terribly urgent need to do this because some changes were made in 1978, when the combined forces Command was estaolished, and at an appropriate time, maybe, some additional changes will be made. 1 would think a gradual process would take place. How far it goes will be very much affected by Issues other than the one we are thinking about --the state or north-south Korean relations, and so on. these will also come In, If I say anything more I'll be In trouble.

Q. A lot of reasons why the kwangju incident took place are unknown yet. for example, some People think that a particular politician has prepared for this Incident. as former ambassador and as a u.s. government official,did you have that sort of Prior information that a particular politician has Prepared for this Incident?

A. A very short answer, no.

Q. You stated that the United States is not responsible for Kwangju. Could you tell us specifically why the United Slates was not responsible. Many Korean students do not think that way.

A, First, the United States Is not responsible because we did not know the Incident had occurred, The forces that were used that caused the incident were not under U.S, command at the time; they still are not. So that's the first reason.

문 : 당신은 미국이 광주 사태에 책임이 없다고 말했다. 당신은 미국이 왜 책임이 없는지 그 이유를 조목조목 설명할 수 있는가. 한국의 많은 학생들은 미국이 광주사태에 책임이 있다고 생각하고 있다.

답 : 첫째, 우리가 그런 사태가 일어났다는 사실을 모르고 있었다. 그 사태를 유발시킨 동원 병력은 당시 미군 사령부의 통제하에 있지 않았다. 그 병력은 지금도 우리의 통제를 받지 않고 있다. 이것이 우리에게 책임이 없다는 첫번째 이유다.
  둘째, 그 기간 내내 미국은 광주의 반정부 봉기세력(rebellious elements)과 한국정부 당국사이의 평화적 해결을 촉구하기 위해 할 수 있는 모든 노력을 다했다.이를 위한 대화 통로 하나는 주로 광주의 카톨릭 교회였다.
  또 다른 방법 하나는 주로 우리의 군사적 채널을 통해 한국군과 대화하는 것이었다. 우리는 이런 노력을 비공개적으로 행했다. 우리는 공개 성명도 발표했다.우리는 우리의 입장을 전달하기 위해 할 수 있는 모든 노력을 다했다. 이것이 두번째 이유다.

Secondly, throughout the incident, the United States did everything it could to try to urge a peaceful resolution between the rebellious elements and the government authorities. The channel for this was mostly the Catholic Church in Kwangju, on one side. On the other side, Mostly our talking through our military channels to the Korean army. We did this privately, we made pubic statements, we did everything we could to get our views across. That's fine second reason.

Third--and this is the most difficult and controversial aspect-- the Korean authorities primarily the Korean army, talked to Us in the Middle of the negotiations--1 don't remember the exact Day--about the possibility that the negotiations would fail, and if they did, they said they would nave to reassert their authority in Kwangju by re-entering the city. When the Korean army talked to us about that, we began to talk about what they had in mind doing and various proposals were made for using army units  to go back in to the city. I thought that would be a very dangerous idea. Those were the forces that had caused or had been involved in the initial casualties .

The other idea was tO move the 2oth Oivision, Which Was stationed near Seoul, and which had been engaged in martial Law duty in Seoul and was Quite experienced at handling civilian issues, and that struck Gen. Wickham and me as a reasonable proposal. I had to do some very serious thinking myself about this because l was bothered by the idea of forces going back into kwangju, 1 thought hard about it and decided that was a reasonable necessity for the Korean government. They could not indefinitely have a city in insurrection. So we posed no objection to use of the 20th division. The 20th division when we went into Kwangiu after the negotiations failed, was--as far as I know as a civilian--I was here in Seoul rather than in kwangju, but even talking to people in Kwangju--Quite Humane and quite careful except for one little battle in the  center of the city when most of the very militant leaders were killed. 1 recall that, aside from this battle,there were only two casualties when the 20th Oivision went Into the city.

But because of that action, many people in kwangju and, later,many students and other critics of the government have suggested that the United States had a responsibility for what happened in Kwangju. That actually is a misstatement, because almost all  the casualties, all the provocative actions had happened before our involvement with the  decision about the 20th Oivision. I have no regret about that decision. 1 think

셋째(이 부분이 가장 어렵고도 논란의 여지가 많은 측면이다), 한국의 정부 당국, 특히 한국의 군부가 우리에게 협상의 실패 가능성을 알려 준 시점은 그 정확한 날짜는 기억할 수 없지만 그 협상을 진행하던 도중이었다. 그리고 그들은 협상이 실패할 경우 광주엔 재진입하여 그들의 권위를 다시 세워야 할 것이라고 말했다.
  한국 군부의 그런 입장을 들은 우리는 그들의 방안에 대해 의견을 나누기 시작했다. 광주로 군대를 재출동시키기 위한 여러 방안들이 제안되었다. 그 가운데 하나는 특전 부대를 광주로 다시 보내겠다는 것이었다. 나는 그것이 아주 위험한 발상이라고 생각했다. 그들은 사태 초기에 사상자들을 발생시켰던 병력이었다. 또는 적어도 그 사상자 문제와 관계가 있었다.
  또 하나의 견해는 20사단을 파견하자는 것이었다. 20사단은 서울 근처에 주둔하면서 서울 지역의 계엄 업무에 종사하고 있었다. 그리고 민간인 문제에 아주 경험이 많았다. 위컴 장군과 나는 그것을 적절한 방안으로 생각했다.
  광주로 다시 병력을 보낸다는 발상 자체가 달갑지 않았던 터라 나는 그 문제를 가지고 좀 끙끙 앓다가 결국은 한국 정부로서는 그럴 수밖에 없을 것이라고 판단했다. 그들은 한 도시가 폭동 상태에 있는 것을 무한정 방치할 수 없었다. 그래서 우리는 20사단 파견에 반대 의사를 표명하지 않았다.
  협상이 실패한 후 광주에 진입한 20사단이 광주 중심가에서의 시가전에서 아주 호전적인 지도자들을 살해했던 것은 사실이다. 그러나 그것 말고는 아주 자비롭고 조심스럽게 행동했다(민간인인 내가 광주가 아닌 서울에 있었으면서 이렇게 말하는 것을 광주 사람들과 이야기를 나누어 본 결과의 소감이다. ) 20사단이 광주에 갔을 때 내가 기억하기로는 이 시가전을 빼면 단 두 명의 사상자만 있었던 것으로 알고 있다.
  그러나 이 일로 인해 많은 광주 사람들 그리고 나중에는 많은 학생들과 여타 정부 비판자들이 미국이 광주 사태에 대해 책임이 있다고 주장해 왔다. 그것은 사실상 잘못된 주장이 아닐 수 없다. 왜냐하면 거의 모든 사상자 발생, 모든 도발적 행동들이 우리가 20사단 파견 결정에 관계하기 이전에 있었기 때문이다. 나는 그때의 결정을 전혀 후회하지 않는다. 나는 그것이 올바른 결정이였다고 생각한다. 아마 여러분은 동의하지 않을지 모르지만, 우리가 관여한 것은 그 정도일 뿐이다.
  우리가 행한 중요한 일들이 좀더 있으나, 여기서 구구하게 늘어놓지는 않겠다.아무튼 가능하기만 하다면 투쟁을 중단시키고 평화적인 결과를 얻기 위해, 가능하기만 하다면 타협점을 찾기 위해 할 수 있는 모든 노력이 기울여져야 했다. 그리고 결국 타협이 이루어지지 않았다 할지라도 공격적인 전사 그룹(특전 부대)까지 동원해서가 아니라 좀더 능숙한 방법으로 처리할 일이었다. ●